03 January 2009

Veggie Sticks & Dips

One of my favourite party food is veggie sticks and dips, a refreshing snack to cleanse the palate after indulging in heavy weights like meats and deep-fried stuff.

The usual veggie plate I would prepare consists carrot, celery and cucumber sticks and cherry tomatoes. Munching on veggie sticks itself is a little boring, so I would accompany with 1 or 2 types of dips.

Recently, good friend WH introduced me to this Seafood Sauce which he found at Cold Storage. At $7+ for 190g bottle, it is certainly not cheap. A closer look at the label - ingredients include sunflower oil, water, sugar, tomato puree, white wine vinegar, fried whole pasteurised egg, dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar, dill, salt and some thickening agent, preservative.

I love the tangy taste, a little like thousand island sauce but much more flavourful. It is really convenient if I don't have time to enhance the flavour, it is good as it is.
Another favourite sauce is home-made garlic mayo. Plain store-bought mayo tastes too flat and I usually add more flavouring.

The recipe is also first shared by WH.


Ingredients
  • 1 small can of mayonnaise
  • 3 cloves of fresh garlic, finely chopped (add 1-2 cloves for more fiery taste)
  • Freshly squeezed lemon juice, 2 to 3 wedges of lemon, up to half.
  • Mixed herbs, sparingly (I use Masterfood. Italian herbs, salad herbs should work fine too)
  • Sugar, 2 to 3 tsp
  • Pepper
  • Dash of freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
Simply add everything together, mix well, chill and ready to serve. All ingredients can be adjusted to taste.
Can't say which sauce I prefer. I love both.

No comments:

Post a Comment