07 June 2010

Emperor Herbal Chicken

For the duration of my maternity leave, I cooked most meals as it's easier to dine in than bring baby out. And now that I'm a SAHM, all the more I could indulge in cooking as a form of destress. As much as I would like to attempt elaborate recipes, I would go for simple and easy recipes due to time constraint.

This is one quick and easy recipe taken with reference from 'Little Corner of Mine'.

The usual way of cooking with emperor herbs chicken spices is to rub the herbs and spices all over the chicken, wrap the chicken in the plastic sheet and aluminium foil provided and steam for at least 1hr. Hubby doesn't really like this method of preparation as the taste of the spices is too overwhelming.
With this recipe, this becomes more like a soupy herbal chicken. Addition of woodear fungus gives a chewy crunchy bite which we like. And the soup base goes very well with rice.

Emperor Herbal Chicken

Ingredients:

  • 1 packet Emperor herbal chicken spices (I use Seah's)

  • 6-8 chicken drumsticks, chop into 2 or 3 pieces each

  • Generous handful of wolfberries (quantity according to preference)

  • 1-2 cup of wood ear fungus (quantity according to preference)

  • Few thin slices of ginger
Method:

  1. Add a little oil in a deep pot.

  2. When oil is hot, add ginger slices and fry until fragrant.

  3. Add cut chicken pieces and fry until slightly brown.

  4. Add water until almost cover all the chicken.

  5. Add Emperor herbal chicken spices, wood ear fungus and wolfberries, stir to mix well.

  6. Bring to boil and then simmer in low heat for 1 to 1.5 hours or until chicken is softened.
This has become a staple recipe in my family, really easy and tasty. Give it a try!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Meg,

    Thanks for sharing this soupy version of herbal chicken. It sounds interesting to me... em..i shall give it a try soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ellena,
    The soupy version is surprisingly nice, both my husband and I love it!

    ReplyDelete