20 June 2011

Pumpkin Chicken Soup

Dear son loves soup very much! So much so that if he sees the soup before the rice, he would insist on drinking the soup and refuse to eat his rice. So every time, I had to hide his soup, make sure he ate at least half portion of rice before allowing him to drink soup. And he finds drinking soup using spoon to slow. Initially he would obligingly drink from the spoon and after a few mouths, he would ditch the spoon and lift up the entire bowl to drink! His lack of table manners irks me but he simply ignores my repeated requests to use the spoon -_-" What to do? Hope that this would be just a passing phase.

Anyways, given his love of soup, I would try to cook nourishing and nutritious double-stewed soups at least 3 times a week. Recently, I even bought a cook book on double-stewed soups so that I can have more variety as I have ran out of ideas what soup to cook for him.

This is the first time I use pumpkin in soup, didn't occur to me before that pumpkin could be use in soup. Glad that I did, as the soup turned out to be very sweet. Dear son enjoyed the soup very much and asked for many helpings :)


Pumpkin is nutritious contains rich sources of carbohydrates, vitamins, proteins, a variety of amino acids and fats. It helps to improve qi, eliminates pain and has anti-inflammation properties.

Ingredients
  • 500g pumpkin (remove seeds, leave skin intact)
  • 1 carrot
  • 2 tomatoes
  • 10 red dates
  • 1/2 kampong chicken (may be replaced by pork of beef)
  • Some sea salt to taste
  1. Put all the ingredients into 3L of hot water, bring to boil.
  2. Reduce to low heat and cook for 4 hours.
  3. Add seasoning if required. Serve hot.
*Usually if I have leftover soup, I would strain the ingredients and stock the soup into ice cubes for cooking porridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment