22 March 2016

Yuzu Curd Meringue Cupcake

After making the Yuzu Curd Tart with my homemade Yuzu Curd, I was left with 2 small bottles of curd, had to use them up quickly since shelf life of curd is short even though it was chilled.

I knew I wanted to bake a cupcake filled with yuzu curd, but for the cupcake base, what should I do? Should I go for a richer yuzu marmalade butter cake, or just a plain simple one with some zest and extract? And then what about the topping, yuzu curd, yuzu marmalade or yuzu buttercream frosting or something else? Decisions decisions.


After browsing many instagram photos, food blogs etc, finally decided on a simple yuzu cupcake filled with yuzu curd in the centre, and topped with golden meringue frosting! In fact, it's the same combination for lemon curd or orange curd meringue cupcake.

I reckon since the highlight is yuzu curd, the cake and topping should be more subtle in taste and not overwhelm the luscious curd.


Basically,  there are 3 components to the cupcake, the cupcake itself, the curd and meringue. Since my curd is already prepared, the other 2 parts were completed fairly quickly. The only problem encountered was the browning of the meringue!

As the photo shown, browning of the meringue turned out uneven :( I've not used my blowtorch for a long time, it's not easy to control the flame! Alas.


Preparing the cupcake was straightforward, cream butter and sugar, add egg, zest, extract, then add in flour mixture alternating with milk.

I've already used up all my yuzu, no more zest, so I added yuzu powder that I bought from Japan previously. Besides vanilla extract, I also added a bit of yuzu oil also bought from Japan. These can be replaced with lemon or orange. As I wanted a very tender crumb, I used buttermilk instead of fresh milk.


After the cupcakes were baked, let them cool down completely first. Then using a small paring knife, carve out the centre of the cupcake, then fill with the yuzu curd.


After yuzu curd has been filled into all the cupcakes, pipe the meringue on top of the cupcake. Lastly, use a blowtorch to brown the surface of the meringue. Done!



Yuzu Curd Meringue Cupcakes
(Makes 17-18 pcs with 4cm base cases)
* this recipe can be adapted to lemon or orange flavour

Yuzu cupcake
  • 150g cake flour
  • 1.5 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 115g unsalted butter
  • 120g caster sugar
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp yuzu oil (optional)
  • 2 eggs
  • 130g buttermilk
  • 1 tsp yuzu zest/powder
  • Yuzu curd - see recipe here

  1. Preheat oven to 180C, fan-assisted mode.
  2. Line muffin pans with cupcake cases. Set aside.
  3. Sift cake flour, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
  4. Add butter and caster sugar into mixing bowl, beat on medium high speed using k-beater until smooth and creamy, about 4 mins. Stop to scrap sides of bowl, beat for another minute.
  5. Reduce to medium low speed, add eggs gradually and beat till just mixed.
  6. Add vanilla extract and yuzu oil.
  7. Add the flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with the buttermilk in 2 additions. Beat till just blended, finish off by removing mixing bowl from mixer, scrap sides of bowl and fold gently.
  8. Using an ice-cream scoop or spoon, fill batter into the cupcake cases, about 2/3 to 3/4 full.
  9. Bake at 180C, fan assisted mode, for 15 mins (toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean).
  10. Remove from oven and let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
Meringue
  • 2 egg whites (about 80g)
  • 80g caster sugar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  1. Add egg whites, sugar and salt into a mixing bowl, whisk to combine.
  2. Place bowl into a pot of simmering water, and whisk till the sugar is dissolved and mixture is hot to touch.
  3. Attach mixing bowl to mixer, whip the mixture on medium high speed using whisk attachment, till it is cooled to room temperature and texture resembles fluffy whipped cream.
 Combine
  1. Using small paring knife, carve and remove the centre of the cupcake.
  2. Fill the yuzu curd into a piping bag and pipe the curd into the centre of the cupcake.
  3. Fill the meringue into a piping bag fitted with tip of choice, pipe the meringue atop the cupcake covering the curd.
  4. Use a blowtorch to brown the meringue topping (optional).
  5. The cupcakes are ready to be served. Best eaten at room temperature. The cupcakes can be stored in airtight container in fridge for up to 3 days. Before eating, bring the cupcakes to room temperature.


I LOVE the cupcake! Actually the cake itself was already very yummy. Tender and moist, not too sweet, with a whiff of yuzu aroma and taste, just the way it should be in order to let the yuzu curd shine. As I bite into the cupcake, the luscious yuzu curd burst into the mouth, slightly tangy, sweet and very fragrant, making me crave for another bite, and another, and gone. The golden meringue was light as cloud, adding a different texture and lending a visual appeal to the cupcake.


I had 17 cupcakes in all, although I already ate like 2 at one go, there were still dozen left. I couldn't be eating all of them #fatdieme! So the hb brought six to his office and the remaining 6, gifted to my secondary school friend who's keen in my bakes.


Really happy with this bake and glad that the yuzu curd was put into good use. Guess I could try with the lemon or orange flavour next time, but I know they can't compare to my beloved yuzu. Gonna wait till I get hold of yuzu the next season...

No comments:

Post a Comment