04 July 2016

Grazing Platter (tomato salsa and avocado yogurt dip recipes)

The weather was insanely hot today and my kitchen felt like a furnace!!

Totally no appetite for any proper lunch so decided to make myself a "grazing platter" which includes homemade tomato salsa and avocado yogurt dip with Tostitos Scoops (tortilla chips), water crackers with Brie cheese, grapes as well as lemon mint soda water.

In fact, this refreshing grazing platter serves as a perfect appetizer or after-dinner snack to go along with wine. Next time when I have guests over, I shall serve this! Looks quite atas doesn't it, especially with the marble serving plate bought from my recent Australia trip.


I must say homemade tomato salsa tasted so much fresher than store-bought bottled ones. Tomato salsa is actually very easy to make at home, just toss together fresh tomato, purple onion, jalapeno, lime juice, fresh coriander, salt, pepper, ground cumin, mixed herbs and sugar. Jalapeno is the harder ingredient to find, I bought them from Cold Storage.

Don't judge it by its size, it is seriously and dangerously fiery hot. I read about how burning and stinking it can be, so was very careful when cutting it by wearing disposable gloves. Unfortunately, totally forgot about the cutting board and swiped my fingers over the board when washing and my fingers burned a fair bit for a couple of hours! Don't add too much to the salsa as well, else the salsa will become too fiery hot to eat.

Besides eating it with tortilla chips, I think it goes well with burrito wraps, quesadilla as well. Shall give it a try next time.


The avocado yogurt dip is even easier to make. Most recipes call for sour cream but I swopped with Greek yogurt since I have a big tub in my fridge. And to make the dip more refreshing, I added mint leaves. Simply blend avocado, Greek yogurt, lemon juice, salt and pepper together till creamy.

This guacamole dip was tangy and creamy yet not overwhelming, perfect with tortilla chips! In addition, I think it can be added to burgers or sandwich as a sauce instead of mayonnaise or Dijon mustard.

Homemade Tomato Salsa
(makes about 1 cup)

Ingredients
  • 2 tomatoes, cut into small cubes
  • 1 small purple onion, finely diced
  • 1/2 pc each of green, yellow and red Jalapeno, finely diced
  • Juice of 1 lime, to taste
  • 1 tbsp coriander or cilantro, finely chopped
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
  • Pinch of ground cumin
  • Sprinkle of mixed herbs
Steps
  1. Mix all the ingredients together. Toss well and adjust flavours to taste.
  2. Best serve cold with tortilla chips or at room temperature with tacos, burritos, quesadillas etc.

Avocado Yogurt Dip (Guacamole)
(makes about 1 cup)

Ingredients
  • 1 ripen avocado
  • 2/3 cup Greek yogurt
  • 10 mint leaves
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice, to taste
  • Maldon coarse sea salt, to taste
  • Black pepper, to taste
Steps
  1.  Add the avocado flesh, yogurt, mint leaves, lemon juice, sea salt and pepper into a blender and blend till smooth and creamy.
  2. Adjust flavours to taste and ready to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment