04 June 2017

Marmite Chocolate Cupcake with Marmite buttercream & Marmite Caramel Drizzle

Growing up, I only know Marmite as a condiment that my mum added to porridge to boast our appetite as well as vitamin B intake. Other than its very potent salty taste and smell, I couldn't remember my mum using it for other dishes in cooking. That said, I know many zi char stalls used Marmite as a sauce or condiment to cook Marmite Pork Ribs or Chicken.

Recently I was offered by Singapore Home Cooks and marketers of Marmite to create recipes using Marmite. So I started researching and surprised to learn that Marmite is invented in 1902 and it's more widely used in cooking and even baking than we know.


Out of curiosity, I asked friends around me about their impression of Marmite and the answers seemed to be divided between love or hate. I began pondering over how I would like to present Marmite, using it such that people would definitely enjoy it. And since I'm an avid baker, probably I could introduce it in some desserts?


Initially I created a Baked Marmite Cheese Tart but the reviews were mixed, so I decided to try chocolate cake instead as I believe chocolate and Marmite could very well compliment each other. As for frosting, I went for Marmite Swiss Meringue Buttercream because the salty Marmite should work well with buttercream akin to salted caramel buttercream. And finally to enhance the overall flavour, I made a Marmite Caramel Drizzle Sauce would turned out to be a winner!

It took me three attempts to get the overall taste correct but the efforts were totally worth it. All three components, chocolate cake, buttercream and caramel sauce played their individual roles in making this dessert so unique and delectable!



First of all, the aroma of marmite is distinct in the cupcake, yet the taste is not overwhelming. The chocolate cake itself is very tender, fluffy and chocolatey with just a tinge of marmite taste. Same goes for the buttercream which is slightly salted due to the addition of marmite.

And the best of it all is the marmite caramel sauce which tasted so good that I couldn't stop licking it neat. It has this deep and rich flavour that's even better than regular salted caramel sauce. Seriously, please try it! This is the only way I'm going to make caramel sauce from now onwards. The sauce can be used in cupcakes, ice-cream or even as a spread for crackers!



Marmite Chocolate Cupcakes with Marmite Buttercream & Marmite Caramel Drizzle
(makes 10 cupcakes, using 4cm cupcake case)

Marmite Chocolate Cupcakes
  • 50g plain flour
  • 15g cocoa powder
  • ¼ tsp baking powder
  • ¼ tsp baking soda
  • 80g caster sugar
  • 50g fresh milk
  • 20g neutral tasting oil
  • 25g egg
  • 50g hot water + 2 ½ tsp marmite
  1. Preheat oven to 180C, fan-assisted mode. Line muffin pans with cupcake cases. Set aside.
  2. Dry ingredients: Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda into a big mixing bowl together. Add caster sugar and whisk to mix well. Set aside.
  3. Wet ingredients: Add milk, oil and egg to another mixing bowl. Stir to mix well.
  4. Add the wet ingredients (3) gradually into the dry ingredients (2), whisk till well blended.
  5. Make marmite drink by dissolving marmite into hot water. Add the marmite drink to the batter, whisk till well blended.
  6. Scoop batter into the cupcake cases about 2/3 full.
  7. Bake at 180C, fan assisted mode, for 18-20 mins (toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean).
  8. Remove from oven and let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.
Marmite Swiss Meringue Buttercream
  • 1 egg white
  • 60g caster sugar
  • 80g unsalted butter
  • ½ - ¾ tsp marmite (to taste)
  1. Place egg white and sugar in a mixing bowl set over a pot of simmering water.
  2. Whisk continuously until the mixture is hot to touch and sugar is dissolved.
  3. Transfer to mixing bowl to electric mixer, beat the mixture using whisk attachment on medium high speed for about 4-5 mins, until stiff peaks and mixture has cooled to room temperature (touch the bottom of bowl).
  4. Turn speed to medium and add the butter, piece by piece. Keep beating till mixture gradually turns creamy and velvety, about 4-5 mins.
  5. Add marmite, ¼ tsp at a time (to taste) till incorporated.
  6. Transfer buttercream to piping bag fitted with 1M nozzle and frost the cupcakes.
Marmite Caramel Drizzle (with extra)
  • 25g light brown sugar
  • 25g golden syrup
  • 25g unsalted butter
  • 40g whipping cream
  • 1 tsp marmite (to taste)
  1. In a sauce pot, add sugar, syrup and butter, heat till melted (low heat).
  2. Add whipping cream and marmite (to taste), continue heating till sauce boils and thickens. Let the caramel cool down completely.
  3. Transfer caramel to piping bag, snip a small hole and drizzle over the buttercream.

I totally adored the cupcake, same as my kiddo who had it for tea, as well as breakfast the next day. The HB who's not a fan of cupcakes gave positive review (unlike the cheese tart version). I offered a few to my friend, G and her family also enjoyed it :)

This recipe is a keeper for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment